(Ground) Beef Stroganoff is What's for Dinner (and Other Adventures with Meal Planning)!


Beef Stroganoff 

(Ground) Beef Stroganoff is What's for Dinner (and Other Adventures with Meal Planning)!


It's that time of the week AGAIN! Meal planning time! Who else struggles with planning new and exciting meals for particular palates or to accommodate for allergies and intolerance? The intolerance in this house is mine. I eat mostly non-dairy due to a case of lactose intolerance. As for the particular palate...my husband is a tried and true meat eater (preferably beef).

Tonight, we are having Beef Stroganoff (or my variation of it) for dinner. For the beef, I am using lean ground 80/20, to make it just a little bit healthier. I just realized I am out of garlic, so I am going to shake a little garlic powder over the mushrooms and olive oil. To accommodate for my Lactose intolerance, I am substituting Lactaid Sour Cream for regular sour cream in the sauce. The Lactaid sour cream tastes exactly the same as regular sour cream, but does not hurt my belly. 

Here is my recipe, recreated, for those of you who are craving a great Beef Stroganoff tonight! Or copy it to your recipe book for the next time you struggle with what to put on the table.


Ingredients
2 or 3 tbsp Olive Oil                                                         
1 Garlic Clove (or 1 tsp of minced garlic)                   
8 oz. pkg. Fresh, Sliced Mushrooms                             
1 lb. Lean Ground Beef                                                 
12 oz. Can Beef Broth                                                      
1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce                                    
Salt and Pepper to Taste (Just take a guess and throw some in!)                                                            
1/4 cup Flour                                                             
1 cup Sour Cream                                                 
Cooked Egg Noodles to Serve the Stroganoff Over

Directions

1) In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Cook mushrooms 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender. My husband likes his mushrooms slightly caramelized, so I usually cook them a little bit longer. Remove the cooked mushrooms and set them aside in a small bowl. 

2) Increase the burner temp to medium-high. In the same skillet, cook the ground beef for 5 to 7 minutes or until it is no longer pink, stirring frequently. I use a teflon spatula to do this so I do not scratch my skillet. When the beef is no longer pink, drain the grease from it. Next, stir in 1 cup of the beef broth, the Worcestershire (try saying that 5 times fast!) sauce, salt and pepper. Heat the mixture to boiling. Whisk flour and remaining beef broth together and then stir it into the beef mixture. Add the mushrooms, return to boiling and stir until the mixture thickens. Remove the mixture from the heat and stir in the sour cream. 

3) Serve over egg noodles. Enjoy!

Feel free to drop a comment if you make this recipe, and tell me how it went! 

Until next time,

Back Road Butterfly 🦋 






Comments

Post a Comment

Like what you read? Let me know!

Popular Posts